When I was elected to run the largest tea party Saboten would have, I did not know how to fund it. The idea of a magazine came to me as an easy way to fund the tea party, but it was anything but easy. It took a total of two months of on location shoots with volunteer models and photographers to finally assemble the magazine.
The hardest part of the magazine was not struggling to do spreads in InDesign, but finding a distributor that would work with such a low amount of people (under 100 copies), I ran pre-sales to front the money and used magcloud as a distribution platform. However even then the production cost was $12/issue which left little profit, however it proved just enough to cover my costs. The magazine was well recieved and led to a design position with the convention itself.